Confederate Veteran of Dickson Co. Tennessee

by admin on September 19th, 2003

This article, from an unknown publication, was found in a trunk.

Contributed by Jana Johns

John B. Tidwell writes:

I was born the 22nd day of August in 1829, in Dickson Co., Tn. Was raised o­n a farm and for two or three years was a stock drover, driving stock down into the Mississippi before there was any railroads in that country. Was married o­n the 24th of February, 1853 to Miss Winnie Richardson who is still living. I then farmed until the time I went in the Confederate Army which was in the fall of 1861; was mustered into the service at Ft. Donaldson o­n the Cumberland River. I was a member of Co. D., 49th Tn. Captain Coden Commanding. Was taken sick before the fall of Ft. Donaldson and was in the hospital at Clarksville, Tn. and escaped capture. I was sent from there to Nashville, put in the hospital and from there was taken home. I stayed till I got well, joined Napier's Cavalry and stayed with them until my command was exchanged at Vicksburg. I then went back to my old command and stayed with the army till the war was closed. Was in the Kenesaw campaign back into Georgia to Jonesboro, was in the three days engagement around Atlanta, Ga., o­n the 20th, 22nd, and 23, of July 1864. We were then taken back to Nashville, Tn. and was in the fight at Franklin, Tn. I was in the engagements around Nashville. After the war I came home and was elected Magistrate and served eleven years. I then moved to west Tn. and from there I moved to Missouri and lived there o­ne year, from there to Arkansas and lived there o­ne year. In the fall of that year I moved to Bentonville, Ark. and in February following I sold out all my traveling outfit and moved to Hillsboro, Texas, arriving there in 1884; bought in Whitney in Hill county and lived there till the fall of 1887, moved back to Ark. up in the country where they did not know that the war was over. Sold out that fall, came back to Texas where I left, lived there two years and moved to Paluxy, rented Uncle John Meek's place, lived there five years. I bought out J.H. Brewington, known as the Pate place, and have been there ever since. I am still at said place in good health and am thankful to my Maker for it. I am a Mason, was made o­ne in 1851 in Charlotte Lodge, No. 97, Tn. I am a member of the Christian Church.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Bad Behavior has blocked 149 access attempts in the last 7 days.