Howard Williams Turner
Howard W. Turner was born in Person Co., NC circa 1796. He was the youngest son of John Turner and Elizabeth Dillard. His father was a Primal Baptist minister and a Revolutionary War soldier. Howard Turner migrated to Dickson Co., Tn with his father, mother, brothers and sisters at an early age settling on Yellow Creek in 1805. During the War of 1812 he served under General Jackson and was stationed 6 miles from Natchez, Miss. He married Nancy Bunch on 13, Aug. 1813; they were the parents of eight children.
Nancy Bunch, wife of Howard Williams Turner is probably the daughter of Joseph Bunch and Mollie Anderson, but because of loss of records unproveable. The Bunch family migrated from Louisa Co., VA. The lived in Edgefield, SC before migrating to Dickson County, Tn. Nancy's brother David Bunch served in the same unit during the War of 1812, as Howard Turner.
In 1840 while living in the tenth district Howard Turner was teaching school, having 35 students under his tutelage. He became an ordained preacher of the Baptist faith prior to 1850.
Howard died 14 March 1861, Dickson Co., Tn and is buried on Leatherwood Creek, exact site unknown. Nancy, his wife died 14 Mar. 1872 and is laid to rest next to Howard.
- John Turner born 1814, married 6 Sept. 1838 Mary Gilmore. No further information.
- Mary “Polly” Turner born 1816, married Robert Halliburton on 8 Oct. 1835. Polly died after the birth of a son Turner Halliburton. Turner Halliburton lived for a number of years with his grandparents Howard and Nancy Turner.
- Elizabeth Dillard Turner, born 18 Oct. 1818, married Moses B. Street 1837. They were the parents of 12 children.
- A. B. James Turner was born in the year 1820. He married Nancy M. Shelton on the 30th July 1844. The children of James and Nancy were Leonard, John, Sarah, Joseph, Mary O. Jennie, Martha, and Nancy. A.S. James Turner died circa 1870-80. He is buried on the Schmittou farm. His wife Nancy died after the Civil War and is buried at the Parchman Cemetery near Sailors Rest, Montgomery Co., Tn.
- Arabella Turner was born 1823. She married Zachariah Batson on 18 Oct. 1845 in Dickson co. They were the parents of Elizabeth, Mary and Thomas.
- Martha Ellen Turner was born 15 Dec. l1824 in Dickson Co. She married Sellman Carol Edwards. They were the parents f a number of children. ( Their names I don't know). Martha died 25 Nov. 1883 and is buried next to Carol Edwards at the Edwards Cem.
- Nancy Jackson Turner was born in May 1829 in dickson Co., She married Francis Frederick Schmittou, jr. They were the parents of William Q.V. Schmidt, be. 8 Jan. 1859, Martha Newton born in 1851, and T.R.V. Schmittou. Nancy died circa 1919
- Joseph Turner was born circa 1830. He married Martha Shelton daughter of William Shelton, Jr. and Martha Paine. They were the parents of 5 daughters Mal,Mary, Sallie, Bettie and Julia. Joseph's death date is unkn.
The Primal Families of Yellow Creek Valley Wm. J. Nesbitt, copyright 1985 by Willliam J. Nesbitt