Introduction Yellow Creek, Dickson County, Tn.
It is not known who gave Yellow Creek its name, but certainly a more appropriate name could not be found. Some names come naturally and anyone who has ever seen old Yellow Creek on a rampage during high water would instinctively call her “yellow” because of the great amount of fine yellow silt filtered into the stream by its many tributaries. *
The headwaters of Yellow Creek rise in the central part of Dickson County and flow in a northwesterly direction. It is generally considered that the creek begins where Fanny Branch converges with another small stream in the Walnut Grove community.
As early as 1786 land grants in what would become Dickson County were issued by the governors of North Carolina for continental military service rendered during the Revolutionary War. Several of these land grants were entered into the records at the Dickson County court house in Charlotte.
Most of these grantees sold their lands to others more venturesome, however, a number of the Revolutionary veterans did leave the Carolinas to claim their bounty land in Yellow Creek. Others purchased their land along the creek for twenty-five to fifty cents an acre.
The procedure for granting lands in Tennessee to veterans of the Continental Army for war service by the state of North Carolina is explained in a brochure published by the Tennessee State Library and Archives:
In 1785 North Carolina laid off a “Military Reservation in middle Tennessee and began granting land there to its officers and soldiers of the Continental Line. They were the only Revolutionary War veterans who received land in Tennessee as payment for their war services. Between 1783 and 1800 all such land grants were within this military reservation.”
The procedure followed for these land grants was as follows:
|Privates||up to 640 acres|
|non-commissioned officers, fifers and drummers||1,000 acres|
|subalterns and surgeon mates||2,560 acres|
|majors and surgeons||4,800 acres|
|lieutenant colonels||5,760 acres|
|lieutenant colonel commandants, colonels, and chaplains||7,200 acres|
|brigadier generals||12,000 acres|
Major General Nathaniel Green received 25,000 acres, the largest grant made in Tennessee
* Used by permission. The Primal Families of Yellow Creek Valley by William J. Nesbitt, c. 1985